Construction of Riverside High School began in 1848 after delays caused by shortages in both materials and manpower because of the war. The building opened for the first classes in September 1949 with 15 classrooms and the power plant, and housed grades 7, 8 and 9. In 1950, the classes expanded to the 10 and 11 grades. All six grades were represented in the building in the fall of 1951, and by the spring of 1952, Riverside had the first graduating class. Construction of the gymnasium, auditorium and cafeteria began in 1951. Additional construction by 1954 included a library, science laboratories, shops and additional classrooms. These two photos were taken between 1949 and 1954.
Planning for John R. Williams Jr. High School began in 1954 and construction started in 1955. The building opened for classes in 1955. By 1959, 22 additional classrooms were constructed, providing Riverside 31 classrooms and JR Williams 40 classrooms. In 1949, Riverside had 16 teachers, and by 1959, Riverside had 37 teachers and JR Williams Jr. had 34. The two photos below were taken in 1959.